Saturday, October 10, 2015

In the lesson this week I watched a talk by Elder David A Bednar titled The Spirit of Revelation. In it he discussed the different forms of revelation to include dreams, visions, messengers, and inspiration. About these forms of revelation he indicated that there are two primary ways they come to us.

The first way is that the revelation is received immediately similar to how a room is completely lit up as soon as we turn the light on. He said that this form of revelation is rare.

The second way revelation is received is more gradual. He compared this way to the gradual increase of light as the sun rises in the morning. He said this form of revelation is more common.

In class we have a project called the becoming project which helps us learn more about a Christ like attribute and to incorporate that attribute into our lives. I chose an attribute that is not in the common list of attributes. Mine is Christs perfect communication with Godhead. He always understood communications from God perfectly and he knew how to pray. I feel a lack of this in my life and so made this my becoming project.

After hearing this talke from Elder Bednar I realized that the real focus of my becoming project was on receiving and understanding immediate revelations. The type he said was rare. I have not and will not abandon my project simply because he says what I seek is rare.

This leads me to question. Why is it rare? Is it rare simply because it is supposed to be? Or is it rare because few people do what is required to get it? I am of the opinion it is that latter question. It requires a lot of time, study, practice, faith, and desire to get to the point where you can receive immediate revelation.

Nephi in the Book of Mormon achieved this before becoming a prophet. This tells me it is not reserved just for prophets. I have had two such incidents in my life with one of them happening a week or two ago. For me, for now, it does seem rare. I believe that I am close to making it be not so rare for me. Close being the operative word here and too me, meaning within a year or two. Possibly months.

No comments:

Post a Comment